For all of my life that I can recall, I've had music in my bones. I remember taking ballet, tap, and jazz lessons at the YMCA, being part of a drill team (Shades of Plaid, anyone?) in fifth grade, starting piano lessons at age 7, performing with the Lewisville Children's Choir in 1994 and 95, traveling with the Crosstimbers Baptist Puppet Team in junior high (That's right. It was cool. I even received national recognition! Beat that.), dancing and singing onstage in Lamar Middle and Marcus High School choirs, taking part in swing dance lessons with Jay, Grant, Diana and Lindsey, and even learning guitar thanks to dear Tina (my great teacher, Mr. T!). The list goes on really, with dozens of miscellaneous activities peppering my life to this point.
I think now might be a good moment for a disclaimer. I don't profess to be great at any of these things, not even good, actually. But I believe I can state, without any scientific evidence needed, that the cells in my blood are made up of half notes, rests, and accidentals (sharps and flats, for those lacking recent theory lessons). Music is in my bones, in my blood, in my brain. And what sometimes frustrates me the most is that I've never really been great at anything involving that which gives me such energy and life. Okay, my parents will probably protest that I'm being too hard on myself, so I'll clarify. You know when someone is good enough at something that it sort of makes up who they are? Like my sister...among many things that she is (all wonderful, of course) she is a soccer player. My John is known for his skill on guitar and mandolin. My brother is an artist. My college roomie is an outstanding public speaker. My best friend (okay, two of them) has the voice of a heavenly being. These are things by which we characterize our friends. But I couldn't call myself a talented musician or performer in any way. That's just not what my success in life will be. (In case you're looking for further revelation in that regard, I'm sorry. I actually don't know what is to be my success in life. Not yet.)
So...Pam, where are you going with all of this?
I was watching Dancing with the Stars tonight. I haven't seen any of it. Either season. But tonight they caught me up on the three remaining couples. Two hours, minus commercials (Thank you, TIVO), of speechless excitement. It wasn't noiseless excitement, mind you, but the sounds coming from my mouth didn't resemble speech. I had so much fun!! Watching people be thrilled by their hard work and the joy that it is to dance and perform was exhilarating. I was moved to jumping in my seat, eager applause, and the occasional tear. And it's times like this that I am talking to God. "I know you've got something planned for me. But please, maybe someday, could I have a bit more talent in dance/singing/music?" I've always felt like I was one step from being decent. And it's a tough place to be when music could truly burst from my body, but I don't feel that I adequately and respectfully express something that touches me so deeply. I'd like to be good. I'd like to feel that I do justice to that which enlightens me. In the meantime, I'd like to keep working at it. I'd like to dance again. I'd like to think I could recover my singing voice. I'm acquiring my brother-in-law's piano in order to dust off an old habit. I'd like to re-learn guitar or pick up the viola. But someday, I'd really like to just be shameless. I'd like to bust out in church and not care who's listening. I'd like to go crazy at the next wedding reception and ignore everything around me. I'd like to sing in my car when I have passengers. Because until I do that, this music in my bones will never be released. It will fester and rot and someday atrophy like an unused muscle. And then my body would truly be angry with me. And it's just not doing the Lord justice with the creation He adores.
that my heart may sing to you and NOT BE SILENT.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever
Psalm 30:12
10 comments:
Whenever the Bible talks about singing and such it never talks about talent...you know, stuff like make a "joyful" noise (it doesn't say make a "talented" joyful noise).
So, I've long been of the impression that passion and enthusiasm can make up for any and all lack of talent. See: Ramones, Sex Pistols, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Talking Heads, B-52's, early U2, Ashlee Simpson, et al.
And I've always liked them better than the "talented" or "musically accomplished and critically acclaimed" bands.
So, keep letting it "burst out of your body" and be "shameless" in that regard. The world'll be a better place for it.
Pammie Sue,
Yes, I beg to differ. You have amazing talent...in many things! Whatever you put your mind to, you do it with such enthusiasm and perseverance. So go for it girl! Start singing again, start playing the piano again, start dancing again! Love you!!
you are god's song...that's pretty amazing....and i am too....let's harmonize
love you pamers!
Brently, I did a mini-study on singing/dancing/music last night and found that I do agree with you that God doesn't call for us to be talented in order to sing/dance/play praise to Him. And I love that. I did find one verse that doesn't contradict that, but it did make me think of something else...1 Chronicles 15 speaks of Kenaniah being in charge of singing because he was skillful at it. And I thought, if I WERE skillfull in one of these areas, would I then be placed in charge of others to lead them? Maybe. I see my friends who have these talents and notice that they are given opportunities to demonstrate them. I think that in the music arena, I like to stay somewhat hidden. I like to "burst out" in a corner, you could say. So I should be grateful that I don't have some fantastic ability that would grab the attention of others. I'll continue to be an anonymous burster instead. :)
Pam,
You are a note, perfectly formed, perfectly timed, and precisely placed in God's symphony. You are a joyful melody emblazoned on the hearts of those who love you. A song that can lift a spirit as it rises from within. A melody that requires no study to remember, no practice to master. One that has touched a variety of audiences for almost 23 years. God looks upon what he has composed and is well pleased. You are a note that will sing to the glory of God for eternity.
We love you!
Yeah, keep up with that guitar!! Let those long hours spent in our lessons not go to waste! :-)
Such wonderful encouragement, everyone! Thanks for the beautiful words. And no worries...I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. I'm quite happy with the talents God has blessed me with. I'm grateful that I can believe, at 22, that I DO have talents. That's more than some can say, I guess.
Plus, Chris let me take his piano off his hands. I purchased a music stand today, and I'm good to go. But in just a day of practice, I've remembered why I quit playing 4 years ago. My darn shoulder... I'm working on it, though. It can't scare me away!!
I'm off to practice my scales...
Why aren't the Blog Mother and BlogFather blogging yet? Is it me or did the BlogFather's comment above merit me asking that question?
Um...tell Steve he needs to set up a blog for them. We've talked about it already. He just needs to do it, so that they are forced to get on board. I'm with you all the way on this one Brently.
Blog Mother and Blog Father, let's go!!
Post a Comment