...since my last post? That doesn't really make sense to me...I know "time flies when you're having fun" but it really goes at super-sonic speed when every 15 minutes of your day is planned out, and you spend every 5 trying to coordinate, corral and encourage a dozen 4 year olds to participate in activities together when they really just want to play alone.
Last week was my first with students. I only had 8. Now I have 15. Thankfully, 3 won't be starting until next week. Still, adding 4 newbies to the class set us back a little. All that work from last week has to be repeated. Talking about appropriate behavior and the schedule of the class. Getting them used to taking a "rest time" when they don't even do that at home. (As a side note, this seems crazy to me...I was still taking quiet time in my room when I was 6; who are these parents that they think their 4 year olds no longer need rest? I can tell you: THEY DO.) But it was only natural that I repeat myself. I would be doing it anyway. I mean, what child at this age can grasp a concept at the first intsruction. It takes days, weeks of constant reminding and prodding before misdirected behavior transforms to acceptable behavior. Mice and cheese; mice and cheese.
Sorry, my psychology days are coming back. Kids really aren't mice. And I don't give them lots of cheese. Let's call it "reinforcement."
I'm sitting with my feet up now. This is where I'll stay for about 30 more minutes. Then it's to the gym and pool for a bit before I'll look over my notes and prepare for tomorrow. And so it goes...
Monday is always the hardest day. But I'm not scared of Mondays.
I've got Jesus. Who can be against me?
2 comments:
You go girl! And so right about Jesus. He gets me through those Monday mornings...and Tuesday mornings...and...
Love you! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.
Miss Pamcakes (is that what the kids call you?) we need to have a date after my exams are over, STAT. :-)
Post a Comment