Wednesday, April 30

For the third morning in as many weeks...

...John and I awoke to the piercing and shrill shriek of our building's unique fire alarm. A single, monotonous (though in no way boring) sound that ought to frustrate dolphins somewhere near Hawaii.

The first morning (it's been around 4 a.m. each time), John and I stumbled ridiculously around the apartment for no less than 2 minutes before I had the bright idea to turn on the lights and get my glasses. This was not before I was on the ground, plugging my ears and crying, "Turn it off! Make it stop! Why won't it stop?!"

I'm not kidding, I was a wreck.

Because this morning was our third incident, we have since developed a pattern for taking turns covering the alarm while the other gets dressed until we both wander downstairs where the noise is somewhat less deafening. Our maintenance manager, who happens to live in our building, has also figured out how to disable the alarm after about 7 minutes. Much better than the 20 that it took the first time, since we had to wait until the FD showed up.

What made this day different is that we thought the worst was over. I hate losing sleep due to vandals, but I was willing to brush it off and keep my chin up. Until John called me around 10 a.m. to confirm that my car was still in working order.

You see, it seems that our neighborhood [insert choice of crude name here, I'm trying to keep this blog clean] was feeling rather feisty this morning and pulled out a blade to slash tires. From our rusty calculation, he hit at least 20 cars. Seriously.

John lost 3 tires.

3 STINKIN tires.

Seriously.

And I'm glad that it was only material. And I'm glad that no one was hurt.

But I'm feeling a little bit naked right now.

And despite the fact that I feel much better after discussing security and building transfer options with our leasing manager for about 45 minutes tonight...I'm not ready to go to bed.

Because I just wonder how smart is this idiot? I wonder how methodical he/she is to possibly be involved with pulling a fire alarm at nearly the exact time on three separate occasions and then slashing multiple tires on nearly 2 dozen cars without anyone noticing. And I keep thinking that who's to say it won't happen again tonight. Or tomorrow.

Thankfully, I'm not afraid for my life. But boy is this inconvenient.

3 comments:

Ashley S. said...

That's horrible. Sounds like a bored 19 year old punk. Fire alarms and tire slashings? That's ridiculous. But I'm glad y'all are alright. Maybe you should start sleeping with earplug in the nightstands.

christopher said...

grrrr...I don't think I could be madder if it was my own vehicle. I'm so sorry that happened!

Free and Living said...

dude, are you kidding me? that's all i can think of for now.