Sunday, November 4

A little bit of pride is like a weed...

...that looks pretty on the outside, but chokes out the life around it.

I've always considered myself to be an independent person. I like to do things my way, on my own. Partly because I trust myself. And if I fail, I know who to blame...me.

I like to do things on my own because I don't trust other people. I don't like to let others take care of me. Which is ridiculous, because all of my life, I've known the love and care of my parents, my Lord and, in the last few years, even my husband.

Yet I still am leery of believing others to be better at caring for me than I am. Maybe it's because I really just trust myself that much. I've taken care of myself for a long time. Maybe I really just don't have faith in other people.

Mostly, it's because I've been let down too many times before.

So I have put up my wall of pride. It looks strong on the outside and even somewhat attractive with the colorful flowers. Yet it is thick and persistent. You could try to knock it down...but just like that nasty weed, it will only come back again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pastor rick has been talking about idols lately and last week's message was on comfort and control. it was really good to hear, and i pray the roots grow in the fertile soil of my heart. you can listen to it via podcasts...look up imago dei community. it may be a breath of fresh air

Anonymous said...

pastor rick has been talking about idols lately and last week's message was on comfort and control. it was really good to hear, and i pray the roots grow in the fertile soil of my heart. you can listen to it via podcasts...look up imago dei community. it may be a breath of fresh air