...on the list of Things I've Learned At My New Job:
Part of my job description is to "train, orient, supervise, motivate and support the volunteers". I've met most of the volunteers so far, and about 90% of them are older than me. More than that, about 50% of those older than me are at least 15 years older than me. Add to that the notion that the volunteers have been volunteering weekly for months and years longer than I've been at this job. Can you see where I'm going with this?
Mom told me recently that I've often had less patience for adults than I do for children. I recognize the emotional, social and psychological limitations of the infant, adolescent, or teen, but I don't offer as much grace to adults.
I see what she means.
So how do I "motivate" these adults to do a job they VOLUNTEERED to do, when I expect that they ought to do it anyway? It's a tiring day when I spend time encouraging a sick child to take a walk or play a game then I have to encourage an adult to be active within the playroom, instead of sitting at the computer checking his email.
I've begun asking my volunteers WHY they're taking time to be at the hospital. I've heard some earnest answers ("my nephew passed away 5 years ago, and I wanted to be involved in the community that served him so well during his last 2 years"; My sisters were sick a lot as kids, and I've always wanted to work in the hospital") but I've also gotten those indirect answers ("I've been doing this for 6 years" or "well, yeah...should I go get some of the dirty toys?").
What I've learned is that I'm not yet great at motivating all of my volunteers. First, I have to get past the fact that I am expected to lead people with more experience than myself. Then I have to realize that some of them have gotten into a groove (that I don't care for), and it's hard to get out of a deep groove. Sometimes I just feel stuck.
Thankfully, my coworker and I are experiencing the same frustration, and we often take time to commiserate and then encourage one another. I think, with time and experience, we'll figure it out.
In the meantime, I still get frustrated with adults. :) But I'm learning.
1 comment:
I have the same problem giving grace to adults. For some reason, my brain says, "They're grown-ups. They should KNOW better."
Post a Comment