Friday, May 5

On NPR today...

...I caught the end of Terry Gross's 2003 interview of Maurice Sendak, writer-artist involved in the opera Brundibar...here is the ending, after having spoken about his kosher Jewish upbringing:
Maurice: I'm not a religious person. Nor do I have any regrets. Nothing of it (Jewish religion) means anything to me.
Terry: Do you ever wish that you had faith?
Maurice: NO.
Terry: Why?
Maurice: Because I don't need it. I don't believe in that. You know who my gods are, who I believe in fervently?
Terry: Who?
Maurice: Herman Melville. Emily Dickinson...she's probably at the top. Mozart. Shakespeare. These are wonderful gods who've gotten me through the narrow straights of life.

This was my thinking when I heard this man...
- He makes sense. I mean, who wants religion when you don't see its point? Why would he want a relationship with someone he doesn't believe he needs? I'm sad, though, that he doesn't know his infinitely, eternally magnificent need.
- I wonder, were he to know his gods...what would they say to him? Would they speak of their faith or their turmoil to understand the wonders in this world? Would they point him to something greater than themselves that caused their great works to come forth?
- Mr. Sendal saw much sadness in his life. It's painful to think that he's settled for his sadness.

...that's all I can wonder for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pammie boo, i can't wait to see you this weekend! i just found out and wiggled a little bit.

Work in Progress said...

Thanks, mishy! I'm pretty thrilled myself!