Wednesday, November 12

I had a student tell me today...

..."Mrs. Ledbetter, I'm allergic to crayons."

Now, this comment was posed after I told her that we would be using the crayons today, instead of markers. After many of my students presented with accidental, multi-colored facial tattoos after the classroom use of markers, I had (without their knowledge) "banned" markers from my classroom until appropriate fine-motor skills could be obtained.

So...

"Mrs. Ledbetter, I'm allergic to crayons."

My answer? "You know, my love, I already asked your mom, and she said it's okay that you play with crayons."

Yes, I lie to my 5 and 6 year olds.

Her reply was a very smooth and discerning, "Well, actually, I'm only allergic to OLD crayons."

"Okay, Marissa, just do your best to only use the crayons that look new."

I have about 500 of these interactions every day. I really don't think that's an exaggeration. The development of logical thinking at this stage in life has made my job very complicated. Just yesterday morning, I had to explain to a mother why her son came home asking about autopsies.

Hey, kids have questions...I just find the journey more fun when we answer back with more questions.

3 comments:

Brent said...

Pam, I get her. I mean, let's be honest: What's more pregnant with possibility and creativity than a box of unused, new crayons?

I'd give her an "A" or "smiley face" or "check plus" as she's obviously one of your more intelligent students. I'm only allergic to OLD crayons, too, Mrs. Ledbetter.

Brent said...

Oh, yeah. Our jobs and teaching styles seem to be eerily similar.

Flower Mound Mom said...

Life has come full circle my dear. You were one of those very students who asked the "impossible" questions or came up with the most unusual sayings. Even then you were very good at arguing your point! I know that you brought a smile and a laugh to your preschool(and elementary, and middle school, and high school) teachers!