Wednesday, May 30

Have you ever had an experience...

...that really, deeply impacted your life? The kind that always comes to mind when you consider your passions, growth and strengths?

I have always known that being diagnosed with cancer in third grade has influenced my life in ways that I could never begin to count. That has been my experience.

Well, today, I had someone "important" (i.e. likely influential in my future career) tell me that being a cancer survivor does not make me better than other employees and that by sharing my experience with patients at work, I am actually being selfish.

Okay, so she's a businesswoman and used more professional, diplomatic words.

But still, I was humiliated, hurt, severely wounded. I truly worried that I would have to leave the room in tears.

I had never intended to make anyone feel that I was better. I don't think I have ever made anyone feel less of a person for not sharing this experience. Truth is, this woman had never met me before and likely had previous negative experiences with cancer-surviving employees. Yet I couldn't help feeling that I had been slammed below the belt in a way that I had never encountered before.

(I am so grateful to have a husband whose response was, "Who is she? You are a better person because of your experience. I am so proud of your passions; no one can teach the vision that you've got.")

So here's the thing: I have never said that I am better than anyone else because of my life story. But I do know that I am a better employee than I would otherwise be because God has grown great passions in me through my trials.

I'm still feeling beaten, and I think today's experience will only be helping me transition out of my current job in the coming months. What I have learned right now is that I will not have anyone, "important" or not, tell me that my experiences are insignificant. God wrote this story. And I have the great priviledge of walking in it.

4 comments:

Brent said...

Yeah...you do.

Flower Mound Mom said...

Where is this woman??? I would have ALOT to say to her! I am so sorry you had to hear that from someone who obviously does not know you. You are so right...God did write this story...and it is perfect...and He planned for you to share it to glorify Him. And that is exactly what you have been doing. So pooooo on her! Now wasn't that professional.
Love you and can't wait to see you this weekend!

Work in Progress said...

I love that my mother just "pooood" on someone.
:)

Anonymous said...

Would you rather go to a surgeon that has performed a unique surgery before or one that had just read about it?

Would you rather go to a counselor that had personal experience with your problem, or one that had just read about it?

Would you rather go to a mechanic that had actually worked on cars before?

Would you rather have a coach that actually played the game before or one that just watched a couple of training videos?

Would a teacher who had learning disabilities growing up be better able to relate to struggling students?

Wouldn't a Dad with a distorted sense of humor be able to better relate to someone who told corny jokes?

God did not allow you to go through that experience just for kicks. You are his resource and anyone working with you should realize that they can use you to help them relate to some of the patients. If you used your cancer survival to elevate yourself, that would be wrong. I know you don't do that. You are actually a more valuable asset to your department because you provide yourself as a resource to your coworkers, and you are a ray of hope to the patients. They see someone, in the flesh, that has not only survived a pretty serious cancer, but is filled with joy and committed to working with those who are currently fighting cancer. God sees you as his perfect work and takes joy in what you are doing.

This women needs to get her vision checked. The fact that she can’t see the positive impact that this would have on patients floors me. I bet she has not even talked to one. So do-do on her! Don’t hide the light that God has given you under a basket. Share the hope that is within you.
Love,Dad