Thursday, April 6

You can tell the state of my mind...

...by the state of my room. Or my apartment, now that I can claim that much residential space. It goes the other way as well. If my room is messy, then I might be too busy or stressed to be keeping it clean. Or if my room is messy, then it's probably stressing me out, so I'll soon drop everything to put it back in order before I can work again. ORRRR, if my room is clean, it makes me feel happy and organized and I'm probably thinking that I'm on the road to "getting it all together". So, the state of my mind resembles the state of my space. Oh yeah, you could probably include my car in that picture. Or my backpack.

Okay, there are a few things you should know:

* I've already recognized that I am capable of taking this quality in me to obsessive-compulsive or agravatingly-anal lengths. But I am always taking steps to avoid any meltdown in the future. I can leave dishes in the sink, not make my bed, have clothes on the floor or papers piled up on the desk. Many of you who see my place may never witness such things, and even those who see it will say, "Oh, this is nothing like my place!" Sure, it's probably not. But I don't care about your place.

* Though I like my own space in order, I could never judge someone else's. With the exception of my husband (thank you, Lord!!), I've only ever lived with CERTIFIABLY messy people. Becky, back me up on this. You'll admit it. But did I bother you about it? NO! You'd always apologize for your mess, which was a habit of growing up, but I would say, "Whatever, Becky. You're crazy." Well, maybe not crazy. Just wasting time by worrying about whether I am bothered by your room. I'm not. I'm selfish enough to only care about how I keep my own space. What you do with yours is only your business. To each his own, I say! (necessary disclosure: previous statement is in regards to this particular discussion only. In no way do I endorse the actions of all men based on their own desires. That's just bad sense. Also, Becky was not really that messy. Adrienne had her beat by a mile and the previous tenants of our apartment were close in the running.)

* I grew up with a clean mom. She's occasionally been refered to as the "tasmanian devil" of house/yard work. I am grateful to have maintained some of those genes.

* BE ADVISED: I am not ashamed of my desire to be clean. But I can say that if you ever declare that I must be judgemental towards so-called "dirty" individuals, well, I might just get crazy on your...behind! Especially if my house is already in disarray.

All this said, my apartment is currently a little crazy. As mentioned before, we're in the midst of the end of the semester, though I can joyfully say that I've put one week behind me and only have about 3 more. Huzzah! In my study breaks, I'm rearranging house. Because after a year and a half of living with hodge-podge, crazy-no-matching, inefficient furniture, John and I have saved money to make a trip to IKEA.

My mind is ecstatic with the thoughts of organization.

7 comments:

Ian said...

Without Order, there is Chaos.

I salute you.

Anonymous said...

Ikea = the tabernacle of all things cheap and particleboard-ish

Have fun!!!!

Brent said...

Tracy and I have lived 17 years with hodge-podge, crazy-no-matching, inefficient furniture (only three pieces of which we purchased new)...and recently started on IKEA stuff. A little here, a little there. They're in rooms nobody really sees, but the hodge-podge seems to be disappearing piece by piece. It's peculiar, actually.

Work in Progress said...

Yeah, we feel pretty blessed that we're able to do this now. And since I'm a little picky about this sort of thing, we've made it priority. (emphasis on "little picky") I appreciate the support from all you, my "clean-people" friends.

oh, yeah, when I was a kid, I learned on some show that there was such a thing as a "professional organizer". I SOOOO wanted to be one of those.

I went to college just to be safe. And to obey my mama.

Becky Perry said...

Haha! Thanks for the chance to reminisce about our Blanton/ Lantern Lane days...in a room with my stuff piled on one side, and yours neatly folded on the other. :)

I love you, Pamela Sue!

Work in Progress said...

Ahhh...you paint a nice picture, Becky Sue.

ps. I'm sorry you had food poisoning on the other side of the world. I wish I could have been there to buy you gatorade and spoon feed you Emetrol every hour.

Amy of the Hill said...

The cleanliness of my house (or lack thereof)is usually related to how busy I am, and how many times I had to drop everything and run out the door to my next stop on the "mommy bus route".

Wanna come and professionally organize my stuff? The pay is great...