Thursday, September 10

I was summoned for jury duty yesterday...

...and have greatly enjoyed the process. After a long, but interesting day, I was selected to sit on a trial that would last about 5 days. As I left the Court House and walked to the parking garage, I considered what adventure lay ahead for me as a Juror. An Urban Juror to be exact.

My adventure came sooner than expected. We were told that our parking tickets could be validated for the county parking garage, however, I had unknowingly parked in a private garage and would thus not be able to use my validation sticker. I had cash, but not enough, and I found myself walking dejectedly across the street to the ATM in the hotel lobby. I was praying that I actually had a debit card on me. We had only recently switched back to debit, and I hadn't even been cleared yet by my banker-husband to use it. Praise God, I did have my debit card. Praise God, John was home when I called. Praise God, he was able to retrieve my PIN number for me. Praise God we have any money at all. Despite all of that, I was charged $3.95 to use the ATM and $15 to get my car out of it's hostage situation in the parking garage. I felt a little financially battered. I mean, here I am, crossing the street, just hoping I can scrounge up enough cash to be able to drive my car home. Parking garages make me a little ill. And when they demand cash only, I get even more cross. I made it home safely, albeit slightly poorer (after all, I had to skip work for jury duty!), and I went to sleep anticipating an eventful day to come.

I didn't realize just how eventful it might be. The trial was...well, I can't talk about it right now. Ha! But, I'm truly enjoying my opportunity to serve my country and judicial system. So, another good day behind me. I walked to the county parking garage (I got there almost 2 hours before the trial, just to be sure of parking in the appropriate garage. Today would only cost me $2!). I sat in my car and had a brief and pleasant telephone interview for an article regarding Perseverance. When that was done, I reached for my keys and started the car.

And I heard...nothing.

That's right. My barely four year old car had let me down already. Maybe I bragged on my beautiful Honda too much. Maybe it's because I had neglected to clean it in recent days (those who know me know that my car is typically meticulous). Maybe it's because I was getting too comfortable. But for whatever reason, the battery was dead.

Dead.

Grr.

Once again, I was stuck in a parking garage, unable to go home. Praise God, I had taken a few extra minutes to fill my gas tank this morning, despite feeling rushed to get downtown. Praise God, John doesn't have class on Thursday nights and was able to come help. Praise God there was no traffic for him as he drove downtown. Praise God that my Dad had bought me jumper cables years before and put them in my trunk. Praise God that the cars next to mine left so that John was able to pull up next to me to jump the car. Praise God for the older man who stopped by to help out because, though we knew what we were doing, his presence was that much more calming. (I get anxious touching car batteries.) Praise God that the line at Wal-Mart was short, and we barely had time to grab dinner at Chick-fil-A before my new battery was installed, and I was ready to go home. Praise God that my battery died today, and not sometime in the midst of my road trip 200 miles north for the weekend.

I don't even want to consider what might happen tomorrow. But if the last two days have taught me anything, I have much for which to PRAISE GOD.

2 comments:

Stephie said...

I hope today's adventure is much less exciting. You deserve a NORMAL day every once and awhile!

Jefra said...

Always an adventure! Good job seeing the blessings in the midst of everything else.