Sunday, March 18

Two times in one day...

...I was confronted with my concept of safety, and I sort of felt like I lost.

This afternoon, I walked into the room of a teenage boy who, just the night before, had been dropped off in the ER by his friends after they'd found him unconcious from an overdose of alcohol, marijuana and some prescription drugs. As I introduced myself and talked with him, I was aware of the police officers down the hallway and the restraints (already used once that morning) laying on the floor. He made little eye contact, which did nothing to calm me, though I saw the slightest glimpse of a smile as I made light conversation during our visit. This is not the first time I've experienced some trepidation on the job, but I still feel very safe, and this afternoon's experience made little impact.

Until this evening...

This evening, John and I left church and headed to dinner with friends. We were stopped at a light, when I noticed a particularly intrusive homeless man. You know, the kind who stares at you and steps too closely to the car? I saw him sit on the hood of the car in front of us, which was odd, but I thought maybe it was a friend. (I know, I know) Then he came to our car, stood in front of us and peered into our windshield. When John waved him away and attempted to pull around, he stepped in front of us again and then began banging the car with his fist and yelling at neighboring cars to call the police because we'd hurt his leg. He continued to yell, bang and wave after the light had turned green, so John laid on the horn. The man seemed to think this was an invitation to come to the door, which was scary enough, but thankfully, it gave John the chance to drive away. (The man continued to bang on the car and yell as we drove off) We pulled into the parking lot where we were meeting friends, I cried a little and tried to stop shaking and then John called the police. Only the second time this year that I've called 311 (okay, the first time was to report serious debris on the road...I'm just a good citizen), but once again I felt better after I did.

I'm glad to be in my bed right now. Safe with John and comfy under the sheets. I put a romantic comedy on the television just to lighten the mood, and I'm praying thanks that my God is sufficient to meet all my needs...I'm glad He is my stronghold and fortress and He watches over my steps.

3 comments:

Robyn Rochelle E.Cox said...

I'm so sorry that happened.
I'm so thankful you are safe.
I'm so thankful God is God.
I'm so thankful...

Anonymous said...

Pam-
Hey girl. I just got all caught up on your blog. Spring breaking in Mexico will leave you totally missing the essentials!! hahahahaha! First off, I am soooooooooo happy for John in getting into St. Mary's!!! That's wonderful, please tell him that we are so proud of him!!! Plus, if ya'll move we will be soooooo close!! There is a one story house that is up for sale in our neighborhood!!! (I noticed that it went up during spring break) Second, I'm so very sorry for your scary adventure with the homeless man! I'm so glad to hear ya'll are safe. I am also glad to hear that your adventure with the internship is almost OVER!!! Also please tell me all the details of the baby shower and Lauren's 1st b-day!! I feel so out of touch sometimes, could that be that Robert tends to be that way!! ahhh, I'm glad this semster is almost over, and I know that you are ready to be graduated!! I guess the next time we see each for family functions is Easter huh?? We might be in at the ranch before then and I will totally give you a call before we head in!! I miss and love ya'll!

Free and Living said...

hey pammie,

i am so sorry that happened to you...i believe most homeless people are either addicted to drugs or are mentally ill and you happened to encounter a friend with both! seriously, that's crazy and hope it doesn't happen again especially since you just told me how much you care about the homeless. i feel like it's the enemy's way of scaring us from serving...you know what i mean?

love you,
mishy